Monday, October 10, 2016

Jigglypuff: Foam Animal Ear Tutorial


I will admit it: I am a huge pokemon lover.  When pokemon go came out, I was running around Nashville trying to catch em' all, and I even re-watched Indigo League (well, the portion that's on Netflix) so I could have a constant poke-fix.  Re-watching Indigo league reminded me of how much I love Jigglypuff, that sassy little pink blob with his marker of doom. 

I also really love Clefairy, because it is adorable, and for awhile I was thinking it would be really fun to get some moon shoes and bounce around as Clefairy.  So I went on Amazon and looked at moon shoes.  And while I was looking, I found these:

At that moment, I scrapped the Clefairy idea and decided to make Jigglypuff into a reality.

To begin, I decided to make Jiggly's ears.  It was incredibly simple, and all you need is a 2 1/2" thick piece of upholstery foam (approximately 1 1/2' x 2' - it just needs to be big enough to cut 2 10" equilateral triangles.); good scissors; a knife to cut through the foam; black fabric; pink fabric; and hot glue.

Step 1:

Trace two equilateral triangles onto the foam, making each side 10" (you could maybe go down to 9 if you want), and cut out the triangles using your knife.  You should get a piece that looks like this (although I'd already started carving this one):



Step 2:

Carve your triangle into an ear shape!  As you can see above, the outside of the ear should be slightly curved.  You will then want to hollow out the inner ear a bit, like so:

Make sure to leave a lip around the edge of the inside of the ear, as shown above.

Step 3:

Once you have the ear carved the way you want, fire up your glue gun and cut out your black fabric, which will be going on the inside of the ear.  I made sure to cut it slightly bigger than needed, just in case I messed up.  Once you have it cut, glue it down.  Super simple. 

Step 4:

The next step is to glue your pink fabric on.  This is ever so slightly more difficult, as you will have to make a small dart at the tip of the ear to keep the fabric from wrinkling.  You can see how it works here:






The end result?  Some fun Jigglypuff ears that will fit on a huge plastic Jigglypuff body!






 

No comments:

Post a Comment